The San Francisco 49ers parted ways with NaVorro Bowman this week, meaning there’s a substantial void at linebacker to be filled likely via the 2018 NFL Draft.
San Francisco 49ers fans are likely still reeling from the team’s decision to part ways with veteran linebacker NaVorro Bowman on Friday.
We can debate whether or not this was a smart move by general manager John Lynch all we want. But the reality is the Niners now have to start looking forward to find a replacement adequate enough to fill Bowman’s shoes.
On one hand, San Francisco already has his replacement — rookie linebacker Reuben Foster, who will assume Bowman’s duties at the MIKE position once he’s fully healthy.
More from SF 49ers Draft
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
That’s good. Foster is one of the most promising young players on the 49ers roster, if not the entire NFL.
But that still leaves a void at SAM linebacker, which will likely be filled for the remainder of this season by a combination of Ray-Ray Armstrong and Brock Coyle.
Neither player is truly ideal for this role.
Hence we turn our attention to the 2018 NFL Draft in an attempt to see whether or not any of these players might be worth bringing aboard next season.
Here are four prospects to watch.