Stock Up — Tight End Vance McDonald
If the 49ers haven’t been getting much production out of their wide receivers, Niners tight ends are more than making up the difference.
Namely Vance McDonald.
McDonald’s reputation as a pass-dropping bust seems to be disappearing this preseason. He accounted for the 49ers’ lone touchdown score in Week 1 of the preseason, and he backed it up with a three-catch, 38-yard performance against Denver.
A Chip Kelly-led offense makes better use of tight ends than anything seen under former head coach Jim Tomsula and former offensive coordinator Geep Chryst. So a surge from the former Rice product might be on the table this year.
Even if McDonald’s expected levels of production took a while to generate.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
2016 wouldn’t mark the first year in which McDonald had a good preseason. So Niners fans may still want to be a little leery of the fourth-year pro suddenly contributing at a massive level.
But what we’ve seen so far is a good thing.
And the 49ers offense needs all the help it can get.