Starter: Blaine Gabbert
Backup: Colin Kaepernick
Yes, Blaine Gabbert still retains the starting job over Colin Kaepernick at quarterback to start the season.
Both signal-callers have had mixed reviews during training camp so far. Gabbert has looked good at times, only to be hindered by some interceptions. And Kaepernick, while being able to make some solid throws of his own, also has had his share of accuracy problems.
And, as Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News pointed out, the camp competition between these two looks pretty even so far:
Head coach Chip Kelly is trying to give each quarterback equal reps during training camp, and it’s clear he’s not ready to reveal any sort of preference just yet.
But what will end up separating Gabbert from Kaepernick is the notion the latter will have to soundly beat Gabbert in camp and during the preseason. Simply matching Gabbert stride for stride won’t be good enough for Kap.
Who knows whether or not Gabbert retains the starting gig all season. It’s entirely possible — perhaps noteworthy, because Kap was delayed in working with the offense earlier this season — Kaepernick takes back the starting job at some point in 2016 if Gabbert struggles.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
For now, the job looks to be going in Gabbert’s favor.