Who did the 49ers draft in the 2023 NFL Draft?
By Peter Panacy
The 49ers didn’t have picks in Rounds 1 or 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft, but they still came away with a significant haul of prospects to beef up the team.
The San Francisco 49ers didn’t enter the 2023 NFL Draft with a ton of holes and roster needs, but the ones they had were significant.
Fans and analysts will debate whether or not general manager John Lynch and Co. addressed all of those needs over the course of the draft, but the Niners nevertheless came home with a rookie class they hope will play a significant role for both depth and immediate impact.
Even if they didn’t have a pick in the first two rounds.
So, who are the newest faces to be joining San Francisco this season?
Let’s take a look.
Full list of players taken by 49ers in the 2023 NFL Draft
The 49ers drafted a total of nine players in this year’s NFL Draft:
- Round 3, No. 87 overall: DB Ji’Ayir Brown, Penn State
- Round 3, No. 99 overall: K Jake Moody, Michigan
- Round 3, No. 101 overall: TE Cameron Latu, Alabama
- Round 5, No. 155 overall: CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama
- Round 5, No. 173 overall: EDGE Robert Beal Jr., Georgia
- Round 6, No. 216 overall: LB Dee Winters, TCU
- Round 7, No. 247 overall: TE Brayden Willis, Oklahoma
- Round 7, No. 253 overall: WR Ronnie Bell, Michigan
- Round 7, No. 255 overall: LB Jalen Graham, Purdue
Grabbing Moody with a third-round pick created quite the shock, but it did fill a need in the wake of veteran kicker Robbie Gould’s free-agent departure.
Brown, meanwhile, helps alleviate the free-agent loss of veteran safety Jimmie Ward, and Luter is already a candidate to be the No. 2 boundary cornerback opposite Charvarius Ward right out of the gate.
The others figure to improve the 49ers depth chart while potentially emerging into starter’s roles within the next couple of years or so. Willis, in particular, could end up being an H-back kind of offensive weapon for head coach Kyle Shanahan.
For a Niners team that is already a Super Bowl competitor, getting just a handful of upper-end contributors from this class would classify as a win.