4 needs 49ers initially must address in 2022 NFL Draft
By Peter Panacy
49ers Need No. 1: Cornerback
If there’s one position the 49ers may expect to see a lot of turnover at in 2022, it’s cornerback.
Veteran corners Jason Verrett and K’Waun Williams are both playing on one-year deals. Combine their ages and injury histories, the Niners are going to need to infuse some younger talent anyway.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
San Francisco passed on doing this in 2020, and it could potentially come back to haunt the team. True, the 49ers used two draft picks this year to grab corners Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir in Rounds 3 and 5, respectively, but only Lenoir has shown to be a reliable defensive back right out of the gate.
Even if both players pan out and become reliable starting-caliber options, it might not be enough to solidify the depth chart.
And assuming both Lenoir and Thomas wind up developing accordingly into quality contributors might be a reach anyway.
Either way, the Niners have to be considering at least one more cornerback to add in the 2022 NFL Draft, and it might be preferable to do so as soon as possible:
- Trent McDuffie, Washington
- Josh Jobe, Alabama
- Mykael Wright, Oregon
- Derion Kendrick, Georgia
- Isaac Taylor-Stuart, USC