49ers schedule release: Ranking 5 most challenging games in 2021
By Peter Panacy
The 49ers will benefit from a last-place NFL schedule in 2021, yet that doesn’t mean the upcoming calendar is without its tough spots.
After months of waiting and anticipation (not really, unless you’re nuts about the NFL schedule), fans finally know when each one of the San Francisco 49ers‘ regular-season games will be in 2021.
The opponents have been known for a while now, yes. But to be able to actually plan around the Niners calendar and make gameday preparations is a bit of a relief.
And it always leads to some early predictions, question marks and the proverbial “uh oh” or two along the way.
San Francisco will have its two games against NFC West opponents, as per usual, while the NFC West will square off this year against the NFC North and AFC South. The 49ers also get a last-place schedule in the at-large games, one of them including the road contest against the Cincinnati Bengals.
For those who have yet to see the full 17-game schedule, here you go:
- Week 1: @ Lions on Sunday, Sep. 12 at 1 p.m. ET
- Week 2: @ Eagles on Sunday, Sept. 19 at 1 p.m. ET
- Week 3: vs. Packers on Sunday, Sept. 26 at 8:20 p.m. ET
- Week 4: vs. Seahawks on Sunday, Oct. 3 at 4:05 p.m. ET
- Week 5: @ Cardinals on Sunday, Oct. 10 at 4:25 p.m. ET
- Week 6: BYE
- Week 7: vs. Colts on Sunday, Oct. 24 at 8:20 p.m. ET
- Week 8 @ Bears on Sunday, Oct. 31 at 1 p.m. ET
- Week 9: vs. Cardinals on Sunday, Nov. 7 at 4:25 p.m. ET
- Week 10: vs. Rams on Monday, Nov. 15 at 8:15 p.m. ET
- Week 11: @ Jaguars on Sunday, Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. ET
- Week 12: vs. Vikings on Sunday, Nov. 28 at 4:25 p.m. ET
- Week 13: @ Seahawks on Sunday, Dec. 5 at 8:20 p.m. ET
- Week 14: @ Bengals on Sunday, Dec. 12 at 1 p.m. ET
- Week 15: vs. Falcons on Sunday, Dec. 19 at 4:05 p.m. ET
- Week 16: @ Titans on Thursday, Dec. 23 at 8:20 p.m. ET
- Week 17: vs. Texans on Sunday, Jan. 2 at 4:05 p.m. ET
- Week 18: @ Rams on Sunday, Jan. 9 at 4:25 p.m. ET
Understandably, despite the last-place schedule and opponents having a Niners-favorable win-loss percentage from last year, there are still going to be some awfully tough challenges ahead for San Francisco.
With that as a backdrop, Niner Noise ranks out the five most challenging games the 49ers will face this upcoming season based on what we know now.