SF 49ers: 5 things that frighten Niners fans the most
By Peter Panacy
SF 49ers Fear Factor No. 1: The Return of Trent Baalke and Chip Kelly
Admit it, you cringed a little at the thought of the SF 49ers somehow bringing back former general manager Trent Baalke and one-and-done head coach Chip Kelly.
Just shuddered here a bit, too.
More from SF 49ers All-Time Lists
- Building the greatest 49ers all-time offense in franchise history
- 49ers all-time best NFL Draft picks by each round
- Famous 49ers players who jumped ship and joined Raiders
- 10 tailgate foods (and recipes) 49ers fans should try and will love
- The 10 worst tailgate foods 49ers fans should hate (but don’t)
As far as horror tales go, Niners fans have every right to be frightened by the memories of what happened in 2016. Baalke, who had somehow deconstructed a Super Bowl-caliber roster only a few years before, was in tandem with Kelly, who had somehow deconstructed a playoff-caliber Philadelphia Eagles roster just beforehand, too.
What could possibly go wrong?
In short, everything. Baalke and Kelly didn’t particularly like each other, but the fright fest spilled on over to the field, where the 49ers boasted one of the worst defenses in NFL history and came away with a 2-14 record, tying a franchise low and sending both Baalke and Kelly off into the movie credits when the horror film finally ended.
That lone season was a nightmare for Niners fans everywhere, perhaps the scariest memory in recent team history and No. 1 on our list.