SF 49ers Player No. 3: Jared Mayden, Safety
Unlike the defensive line, the secondary is not a positional group that has a lot of depth behind the usually stingy starters. In fact, it’s not a stretch to say it might be the weakest in that department outside of the offensive line.
More from SF 49ers Roster
- 49ers roster: 5 players who could get cut after 2023 NFL Draft
- 49ers roster: Insanely early 53-man roster projection for 2023
- Kyle Shanahan is wrongly handling his QB situation with Trey Lance
- Zane Gonzalez trade doesn’t mean 49ers won’t draft a kicker
- 49ers roster: Top remaining free-agent tackles on the market
While the team has done a good job in finding some depth, they may yet have a potential starter in versatile rookie safety Jared Mayden.
A ballhawk at Alabama, Mayden made some of those same plays in training camp and showed a consistent ability to work in coverage.
His versatility in being able to play either free safety or strong safety, as well as his ability to make plays (a feature that has been mostly missing in the otherwise solid group at the position) makes him an intriguing prospect at the position.
The 49ers have a solid group at safety right now, so Mayden is unlikely to be able to break into the team right away. He’s however a definite certainty to be put onto the practice squad as the team continues to develop him to be (at worst) a versatile and capable backup.
That is, provided no other team claims him first.