W, 33-7 @ Redskins
To be honest, the top-ranked team in our NFL power rankings, the Patriots, haven’t exactly played a lot of top-tier competition. Arguably the toughest matchup was in Week 4 against the Bills. And despite Buffalo doing a good job shutting down quarterback Tom Brady and Co., the Pats defense was still good enough to win.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
Week 5’s win over the Redskins doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t know already, though. The Patriots merely had to cruise to victory in this game, following Brady’s three-touchdown performance and 442 total offensive yards to ensure Washington’s woes continue deeper into the season.
But the bigger story for New England has been its defense, which is arguably the deepest head coach Bill Belichick has had for a while now.
This group held the Redskins to just 220 yards of their own, while also keeping Washington to a mere 1-of-11 mark on third-down attempts.
Yeah, the Patriots still stay No. 1.
The Patriots might not lose for a while, either. They host the Giants in Week 6 on Thursday night before visiting the Jets on Monday Night Football in Week 7.
Yeah, 7-0 looks like a safe bet.