No. 2: Mack Wilson, Linebacker, Alabama
Why the 49ers should be interested
Mack Wilson is sort of the anti-Tre Lamar in some respects. Wilson isn’t the kind of guy who can rush the passer, but he is a brilliant kid in coverage who can complement Fred Warner well in that regard. He defends the pass well and plays with an aggressive motor that will appeal to NFL teams.
More from SF 49ers Draft
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
It doesn’t end at the pass, however, as Wilson used his aggressive motor to defend the run as well. San Francisco needs more talent at defending both the pass and the run.
The stats don’t look much, but Wilson didn’t finish a lot of games, as Alabama routinely blew out opponents. Wilson used the time on the field to impress scouts with his instincts and coverage skills, and the 49ers no doubt included as they were shredded by quarterbacks a lot in 2018.
Linebackers that defend the pass are always in demand. Wilson won’t notch many sacks and has a bit to learn at the pro level, but his talent will allow him to be selected as early as late on Round 1 and no later than Round 2.
Pros: Sublime pass coverage skills, aggressive, competent run defender
Cons: Not a blitzer, slightly undersized at 6’0
49ers could select him in: Round 2