No. 4: Jameis Winston vs. the maligned 49ers defensive backfield
The quarterback position for the Buccaneers has been just about as chaotic and unpredictable as the position has been for the San Francisco 49ers.
More from SF 49ers News
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- Updated 49ers salary cap space ahead of 2023 NFL Draft
- Deebo Samuel fully admits his hatred of LA Rams
- Brock Purdy jokingly says he’s learning to throw left-handed
- 49ers news: Trey Lance is in the dark regarding trade talk
Jameis Winston will be getting the start for Tampa Bay this Sunday. He will be going against a 49ers secondary that ranks 15th in the NFL against the pass. A ranking that would be even less generous if not for cornerback Richard Sherman. The veteran is the only defensive back on the team that isn’t playing for his job.
Overall, the Buccaneers passing offense ranks first in passing yards per game in the NFL. Much of that success was due to the hot play of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick early in the year. Fitzpatrick went cold and Winston took over as the starter. The passing offense hasn’t been the same since.
With eight touchdowns to 11 interceptions, Winston may be just the antidote for what ails the 49ers pass defense.