Free Safety: Jimmie Ward
Strong Safety: Jaquiski Tartt
More from SF 49ers News
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- Updated 49ers salary cap space ahead of 2023 NFL Draft
- Deebo Samuel fully admits his hatred of LA Rams
- Brock Purdy jokingly says he’s learning to throw left-handed
- 49ers news: Trey Lance is in the dark regarding trade talk
It’s looking more and more like the 49ers won’t extend safety/linebacker Eric Reid, a pending free agent, beyond this season. Aside from depth, there really isn’t any reason to. He already lost his starting strong safety job to Jaquiski Tartt, who is a clear-cut choice to start again in 2018.
The only way it happens, though, is if the Niners grow overly concerned with the health history of free safety Jimmie Ward.
Ward (forearm) could end up missing the rest of the season, potentially giving Reid a chance to start again at his old position at which he broke into the NFL. But Ward is signed through 2018, and a hunch says the Niners would like to see a full-time tandem of Ward and Tartt next year.
Let’s go with this prediction, as Reid walks in free agency.