Round 4, Pick No. 131: Wide Receiver Kenny Stills, Oklahoma
Original Pick: Running Back Marcus Lattimore
I’ll be honest, I was stoked the 49ers selected former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore at this point.
More from SF 49ers Draft
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
At the time, Lattimore was going to be the understudy for Frank Gore as the rookie would rehabilitate his gruesome collegiate knee injury and work his way towards being Gore’s heir apparent in 2014 and beyond.
Of course, Lattimore retired before ever seeing an NFL snap.
But remember that wide receiver need the 49ers had? Remember how Quinton Patton was supposed to fill this void?
Well, current Miami Dolphins wideout Kenny Stills would have been a nice find. He might not have been able to contribute right away, and his numbers have surely been inflated from playing on more prolific offenses like the New Orleans Saints and Dolphins.
Yet consider San Francisco’s receiving needs in 2015 and 2016. They were huge, and Stills would have been a nice option to have instead of Lattimore.