What position will Anthony Davis play?
Davis has been a right tackle for his whole career. He has been a very good right tackle. However, the 49ers are now flirting with moving him to right guard.
In today’s joint practice, after volunteering to play right guard to offensive line coach Pat Flaherty, Davis played eight snaps of first-team drills per Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area. He was replaced by fellow lineman Andrew Tiller (who has been the starting right guard) for the rest of the practice.
Davis has slimmed down by around 30 pounds to the 330-pound mark but this doesn’t seem to have affected his strength. By him playing at right guard, the 49ers can keep Trenton Brown at right tackle.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
It’s an interesting play by the 49ers and it will be interesting to see if it holds any water. Perhaps it’s just a ploy to keep opposition defenses and coaches honest. However, any extra flexibility added to the 49ers O-line is an improvement over 2015.
The 49ers will play their second preseason game against the Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos in two days time at 7:00 p.m. Mountain Time at Sports Authority Field.
There will be a lot we will be able to take from this game, both good and bad.