2016 NFL Draft: 5 Late-Round Prospects the 49ers Should Target
Willie Henry, DT, Michigan
Another possible addition to the defensive line would be Willie Henry, who has improved every season at Michigan.
Unlike Ridgeway, Henry might be more of a defensive end in the 49ers’ system, but he’s got room on his frame to fill out more if the 49ers wanted to keep him inside, and he’s got the work ethic to stay in the weight room and add on functional muscle to do so. No one can criticize his hustle or his competitive spirit, as he always plays through the whistle with intensity and a surprising burst for a big man. He has nice long arms, which Trent Baalke is always looking for, and he gets low pad level to drive opponents forward.
He’s still developing—he has a tendency to mistime the snap count and get encroachment penalties, and he can get directed away from rushing lanes at times. However, considering that he’s gotten measurably better every season through his college career, I believe he can continue improving in the NFL and turn into a solid rotational player, at least.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
Bryan Knowles is a staff writer here at Niner Noise. Follow him @BryKno on Twitter.