No. 1: 49ers Cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon
More from SF 49ers News
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- Updated 49ers salary cap space ahead of 2023 NFL Draft
- Deebo Samuel fully admits his hatred of LA Rams
- Brock Purdy jokingly says he’s learning to throw left-handed
- 49ers news: Trey Lance is in the dark regarding trade talk
Or something else.
Witherspoon could retake his old starting job, one which he lost at multiple points last season. A strong rookie season and solid start to 2019 suggests he’s more than capable of playing at a high level. But consistency is the factor here.
In 2018, Witherspoon struggled in training camp, and those issues carried over into the regular season. Last year, Witherspoon’s camp efforts were exceptional, and he began the season on a high note, picking up an interception returned for a touchdown and five passes defended over his first three games before suffering a serious foot sprain.
What will camp in 2020 reveal?
Amid a contract year, the 49ers could look to make Witherspoon a starter, a reserve or potentially moving on from him in favor or someone else showcasing more productivity.
So, yes. There’s a lot riding on training camp for Witherspoon this summer.