Predicting 49ers starting lineup after 2020 NFL Draft
By Peter Panacy
Again, no surprises.
During the offseason, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was the subject of speculation, particularly whether or not the 49ers would be better off signing future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady in free agency.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
Much of this stemmed from Garoppolo’s fourth-quarter meltdown in the Super Bowl, but that doesn’t change the fact Jimmy G finished the 2019 regular season with 3,978 passing yards — fourth best in franchise history — and four fourth-quarter comebacks, which was tied for best in the league a year ago.
No, there’s no need to worry about Garoppolo.
There are, however, question marks about the rest of the quarterbacking depth chart, namely between backups Nick Mullens, C.J. Beathard and the newly signed rookie, Broc Rutter from North Central College.
Rutter has some talents and could be a practice squad stash, especially with Beathard hitting a contract year and Mullens poised to be a restricted free agent in 2021.
Still, it’s Garoppolo’s show, although whether or not the 49ers move a quarterback between now and Week 1 will still be a question mark.