The 49ers drop a couple of spots in our NFL power rankings, and the fall is mostly due to what happened with Jimmy Garoppolo his first week back against the Broncos.
Granted, Garoppolo didn’t exactly have the chance to get into much of a rhythm in Denver. And his performance in Kansas City against the Chiefs was significantly better, which inspires a lot of confidence.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
That said, the Niners franchise quarterback is likely going to have to shake off a lot of rust early on. He hasn’t yet played a full four quarters since his devastating ACL tear back in 2018, and there are going to be mistakes.
Head coach Kyle Shanahan is still trying to figure out his best receiving options outside Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle, too.
At least the 49ers are deep at running back. That’s a good thing, even though there are some questions about offensive line depth here.
Surprisingly, the Niners defense has looked pretty stout this preseason, aside from an ugly early stand against the Chiefs in Week 3. And this unit still isn’t at full strength, missing edge rushers Dee Ford (knee) and Nick Bosa (ankle), who might not be quite ready for the start of the regular season.
That’s a major bonus, though, considering how bad San Francisco’s defense was a year ago.