Round 14: DST Dallas Cowboys
In fantasy football, defenses are to be drafted in the second-to-last round and then usually streamed during the season. There is always a run on defenses in previous rounds, which works to our advantage as additional position players drop to our draft spot.
Defenses are also generally hard to predict at the beginning of the season, so there’s little advantage to drafting one earlier than you are forced to. If you’re drafting early in the month and your draft allows it, selecting a position player now and snatching a defense off the waiver wire before Week 1 begins is often a smart option.
More from SF 49ers Fantasy Football
- Fantasy football: Christian McCaffrey, Deebo Samuel diminish each other’s value
- Fantasy football: Christian McCaffrey to explode vs. Chargers in Week 10
- Fantasy football: 49ers start ’em, sit ’em players vs. Chiefs in Week 7
- Fantasy football: 49ers offense ruining top performers’ overall values
- Fantasy football: Drafting 49ers RB Elijah Mitchell is a smart move
Because we’re forced to, we will select a defense in our ideal fantasy football mock draft — and that team is the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas will likely be available in most drafts, and the Cowboys have a good schedule to start the 2019 season.
Dallas kicks off the season as 7.5-point home favorites against the New York Giants, before heading to Washington in Week 2. In Week 3, the Cowboys are slated to be heavy home favorites against the Miami Dolphins.
We love home teams who are big favorites against inaccurate or young quarterbacks, making the Cowboys our first streaming defense of the season.