No. 4: Cornerback Rashaan Melvin
I’m going to double dip here on cornerbacks because it’s just that much of a need for this team. Veteran Rashaan Melvin is a small name that can help this secondary out.
More from SF 49ers Free Agency
- Former 49ers kicker Robbie Gould still wants to play for Bears
- 49ers bolster wide receiver room by grabbing Chris Conley
- 49ers news: Kerry Hyder is back to bolster defensive line depth
- Low-risk free agents 49ers can still target before NFL Draft
- 49ers aren’t talking to this free agent (but they should)
Melvin was a starting cornerback for the Raiders this year, and truth be told, did not have a great year in Oakland. He graded out as Pro Football Focus‘ 68th-best cornerback in the league, and gradually lost playing time throughout the course of the season.
However, just like Bradley Roby, the talent is there with Melvin. He was just on a poor defense this past season that did not appreciate his worth enough. In fact, Melvin was a stud on the Colts two years ago, having 23.6 percent of his targets defended or intercepted, which ranked third in the league among cornerbacks.
Even this year against the Broncos, Melvin allowed just a 19.2 passer rating, which ranked second best among all cornerbacks that week.
Melvin is another cornerback in dire need of a change in scenery. Plus, since he would not have to move, the incentive is there for Melvin to sign with the 49ers in NFL free agency.