Reserve: C.J. Beathard
The 49ers indicated they would go with two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster when free-agent pickup Matt Barkley was cut on the first day of roster moves.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
This move wasn’t so much a slight against Barkley, rather something that likely happened to free up another roster spot for a player like wide receiver Victor Bolden or running back Raheem Mostert.
I doubt there’s going to be much interest in Barkley, so he could still be available for the Niners at some point if No. 1 QB, Brian Hoyer, suffers an injury.
This move also allows rookie quarterback C.J. Beathard, a third-round draft pick, a chance to see some serious time this season. Beathard’s preseason got off to a strong start, but the final two exhibition games certainly showed why he wasn’t exactly a highly touted prospect coming out of Iowa.
On the positive side, though, Beathard did have a few moments of promise. That will be worth chewing on as he looks to develop under Hoyer.
And, as always, stay tuned to Niner Noise as we prepare you for Week 1 of the regular season, only a few days away.