A week after the 49ers were flagged 17 times for 131 yards, head coach Kyle Shanahan’s squad was penalized a whopping 11 times for 86 yards.
This is an issue, especially those of the pre-snap variety.
Shanahan has a lot of work to do to correct these kinds of issues, which can be killers for a young team in transition.
More from Niner Noise
- 49ers 2023 NFL Draft tracker: Pick-by-pick news and analysis
- Predicting 49ers NFL Draft picks by looking at final mocks
- DraftKings NFL Draft Promo – Win $150 Guaranteed on Any $5 Bet
- 2023 NFL Draft: EDGE Byron Young could be impact player for 49ers
- 5 low-key NFL Draft options for 49ers who are flying under the radar
If penalties severely harm a team going through a rebuild, turnovers are absolutely disastrous.
The Niners committed a whopping five turnovers throughout the game, kicked off by a touched ball by safety Jaquiski Tartt in the first quarter — one that seemingly set the tone for the game thereafter.
Oh, and Denver scored points off each turnover.
It also didn’t help San Francisco’s time-of-possession battle. The Broncos nearly doubled the 49ers in this category, 38:35 to 21:25, meaning the Niners defense was overly exposed later in the game.
Ball security will have to be a major focal point for San Francisco as they gear up for Week 3 of the preaseason.
The 49ers visit the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, August 27 at 8 p.m. ET.