No. 6: Linebacker C.J. Mosley
2017 Team: Baltimore Ravens
Former Baltimore Ravens, and current 49ers fullback, Kyle Juszczyk may have to do some recruiting here, but luring in Ravens linebacker C.J. Mosley in the 2018 offseason would be an excellent idea and an even better option than David Harris.
More from SF 49ers Free Agency
- Former 49ers kicker Robbie Gould still wants to play for Bears
- 49ers bolster wide receiver room by grabbing Chris Conley
- 49ers news: Kerry Hyder is back to bolster defensive line depth
- Low-risk free agents 49ers can still target before NFL Draft
- 49ers aren’t talking to this free agent (but they should)
Mosley has been a machine for the Ravens ever since he was drafted in Round 1 back in 2014. And at 24 years old, he’s young and has the potential to even take over for incumbent middle linebacker NaVorro Bowman when the time is right.
Pro Football Focus gave Mosley rave reviews and rewarded him with an astounding 85.8 overall grade last season. This, thanks to his 56 tackles, eight passes defended and surprising four interceptions on the year.
In San Francisco’s 4-3 base scheme, Mosley could occupy either the SAM or WILL positions, although it would make more sense to leave him on the strong side covering opponents’ tight ends.
Mosley’s coverage skills are pretty solid, after all.
He won’t come cheap though. One can guarantee that. But if the Niners are looking for the next young cornerstone piece on their defense, they could do much worse than targeting Mosley.