Heading to Tennessee to take on the Titans in Week 7, the San Francisco 49ers will start an 11-day road trip. After Sunday, the Niners will travel across the pond to London to take on the Jacksonville Jaguars.
San Francisco (4-2) has bounced back after a sluggish start to the season. The 49ers were outscored 56-10 in consecutive losses to Seattle and Indianapolis last month. Since then the team has outscored opponents (St. Louis, Houston and Arizona) 101 to 34. The 49ers have won three in a row during a regular season for the first time since taking the final three games of 2011.
While the Niners defense is dominating again, the offense has received a big boost from running back Frank Gore during the winning streak. Gore has rushed for 417 yards (5.7 yards per carry) and two touchdowns in the last four games. Last week, he rushed for 101 yards on 25 carries. Frank has also rushed for over 100 yards in two of the last three games.
Below is a look at the history, numbers and connections behind the game.
The 49ers first played the Titans in 1970. However from 1959-1998 the Titans were the Houston Oilers. The game on Sunday will be the third time the 49ers will play the Titans since their name change.
The Titans have won their past two meetings with the 49ers: A 33-22 win in Tennessee on November 27, 2005 and a 34-27 win at San Francisco on November 8, 2009. The Niners still lead the all-time series 7-5, winning four of six on the road. San Francisco have 4-2 record all-time on the road against the Titans.
Series Record: 49ers lead series 7-5
49ers Home Record vs. Titans: Series tied 3-3
49ers Away Record vs. Titans: 49ers lead series 4-2
First Meeting: November 15, 1970, 49ers won 30-20, at Houston.
Last Meeting: November 8, 2009, Titans won 34-27, at San Francisco.
Current Streak: 49ers have lost 2 in a row.
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 4 (December 13, 1981 – October 7, 1990)
Longest Titans Win Streak: 2 – 2 Times (Last November 27, 2005 – November 8, 2009)
Most 49ers Points: 34 (10/21/84): 49ers won 34-21, at Houston.
Most Titans Points:34 (11/8/09): Titans won 34-27, at San Francisco
49ers Shutouts: None
Titans Shutouts: None
Date, Win, Score, Location
11/15/70 49ers 30-20 H
12/07/75 Oilers 27-13 SF
09/17/78 Oilers 20-19 H
12/13/81 49ers 28-6 SF
10/21/84 49ers 34-21 H
11/08/87 49ers 27-20 SF
10/07/90 49ers 24-21 H
12/25/93 Oilers 10-7 SF
10/27/96 49ers 10-9 H
10/03/99 49ers 24-22 SF
11/27/05 Titans 33-22 T
11/08/09 Titans 34-27 SF
- 181.7: San Francisco has averaged 181.7 rushing yards during the three-game winning streak after gaining 215 in its two losses.
- 800: Last week, WR Anquan Boldin reached a milestone by becoming the 4th fastest player to reach 800 career receptions.
- 18.25: The 49ers have an average margin of victory of 18.25, the highest in the NFL.
- 8: The 49ers offense has eight rushing TDs this season, the 2nd most in the NFL.
- 10: In a game on November 8, 2009, versus Tennessee, Vernon Davis caught a career-high 10 passes for 102 yards.
- 83: In the same game, Frank Gore had 15 carries for 83 yards and one TD. He also had a season-high seven receptions for 75 yards.
- 20: The 49ers have 10 rushing plays of 20-or-more yards, ranking tied-1st in the NFL.
- 119.2: QB Colin Kaepernick has a passer rating of 119.2 in blitz passing situations, ranking 3rd in the NFL
- 61.5: San Francisco’s defense is holding opposing QBs to a 61.5 passer rating in blitz passing situations, ranking 2nd in the NFL.
- 2: The Titans have won the previous two meetings.
49ERS (rank) TITANS (rank)
4-2 (2nd NFCW) Record 3-3 (2nd AFCS)
24.2 (13th) Points Per Game 21.3 (21st)
332.7 (23rd) Total Offense 302.2 (29th)
141.7 (4th) Rushing Offense 108.3 (t-17th)
191.0 (t-30th) Passing Offense 193.8 (29th)
29:37 (23rd) Possession Average 30:06 (17th)
19.7 (9th) Points Allowed Per Game 19.2 (8th)
319.2 (9th) Total Defense 335.0 (10th)
112.8 (20th) Rushing Defense 111.2 (19th)
206.3 (6th) Passing Defense 223.8 (10th)
14 (t-19th) Sacks 18 (t-7th)
8 (t-7th) Interceptions 6 (t-14th)
48.6 (4th) Punting Avg. (Gross) 43.5 (29th)
+2 (t-12th) Turnover Differential +8 (2nd)
- Titans TE Delanie Walker was drafted by the 49ers in 2006 and he played for the team from 2006-2012.
- Kaepernick worked out for the Titans before the 2011 draft. The Titans ultimately selected Jake Locker with the No. 10 overall selection.
- S Donte Whitner and Titans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick were teammates with the Buffalo Bills from 2009-2010.
- Patrick Willis was born in Bruceton, Tennessee, which is in the central part of the state. He attended Central High School in Bruceton.
- WR Quinton Patton was born in Nashville, TN, and attended La Vergne High School.
- G Daniel Kilgore was born in Kingsport, TN, and attended Kingsport Dobyns Bennett High School.
- 49ers long snapper Kevin McDermott was born in Nashville, TN.
- T Anthony Davis and Titans WR Kenny Britt and CB Jason McCourty attended Rutgers together from 2007-2008.
- S Eric Reid and Tennessee DE Lavar Edwards were teammates at Louisiana State from 2010-2012.
- Titans C Brian Schwenke attended California from 2011-2012. TE Craig Stevens also went to Cal from 2004-2007.
- Titans’ Secondary coach Brett Maxie played for the San Francisco 49ers in 1997 as a defensive back.
- Tennessee Defensive Assistant/Pass Rush Specialist Keith Millard was born in Pleasanton, CA (SF Bay Area).