Another day at San Francisco 49ers training camp, means another day of minor injuries to players. Since training camp started, the offense has experienced the bulk of injuries. However at practice on Wednesday, the defense suffered a string of injuries. None are considered to be serious.
Starting linebackers Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman and Aldon Smith either did not finish practice or sat out because of being hurt. Willis experienced a hand injury in a one-on-one blitz pickup drill and did not finish practice. Also not finishing practice on Wednesday was Bowman, however, it was not clear what injury he had. Smith did not practice for an unknown injury.
With most of the starting linebackers out, young players like Michael Wilhoite and Nate Stupar worked with the first-team defense at inside linebacker. The highlight for Stupar was an interception off Colin Kaepernick in a red zone 7-on-7 drill. Replacing Smith on the field was outside linebacker Parys Haralson.
Here are some other training camp highlights from the 49ers practice on Wednesday, July 31:
- Free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha had his first interception of training camp. The pick came against Kaepernick while Asomugha was covering receiver Chad Hall. The CB read a comeback route, broke on the football, tipped it in the air and intercepted the pass. Later in the day, he had a pass breakup on quarterback Colt McCoy who was looking to connect with receiver Anquan Boldin in the end zone.
- Cornerback Chris Culliver also had an interception, but off of quarterback Scott Tolzien. Culliver was covering receiver Marlon Moore in a 7-on-7 drill. Culliver missed the final session of practice because of an injury to his upper body.
- Later in the same drill, Moore caught a deep touchdown over cornerback Tramaine Brock.
- Tight end Vernon Davis was again the main target for the offense in team drills. On one play he beat Haralson on a wheel route for a 30-yard reception. He also caught a third-down catch later in the day at practice in a move-the-ball drill that set up a 49ers field goal.
- Rookie tackle Carter Bykowski was seen limping off the field and heading into the locker room.
- The highlights for the offense were in the red zone drills with the unit converting multiple touchdown passes: Kaepernick hit running back LaMichael James open in the left flat. McCoy also completed a short touchdown to tight end Garrett Celek in the same area. Celek also caught a 20-yard TD pass from Kaepernick in the back right corner of the end zone. Rookie QB B.J. Daniels closed out the practice with a pair of touchdown throws. The first was thrown to James in the back middle of the end zone, with the second one going to rookie receiver Chuck Jacobs on a short fade route.