Players returned to practice on Tuesday after the San Francisco 49ers had their first day off since the start of training camp last week. The Niners were back in action running drills in pads with the offensive and defensive first-teams facing off in practice.
Here are some Training camp highlights from the 49ers practice on Tuesday, July 30:
- Quarterback Colin Kaepernick completed deep passes to receiver’s Anquan Boldin (35-yards) and followed it up on the next play with a long pass to Chad Hall (25-yards).
- Center Jonathan Goodwin and linebacker NaVorro Bowman did not practice. Both suffered injuries, but neither is considered serious.
- Guard Daniel Kilgore spent most of the time at center with the first-team offense. Guard Adam Snyder also took first-team reps at center for one period of practice. Second-year linebacker Michael Wilhoite lined up next to Patrick Willis in place of NaVorro Bowman.
- Wide receiver’s A.J. Jenkins and Kassim Osgood both appeared to get injured at practice. Both walked off the field mid-practice and did not return to action.
- Quarterback Scott Tolzien, who is competing for the No. 2 position on the depth chart, had an impressive practice. The third-year quarterback completed a number of passes on the day, several went to receiver Anquan Boldin.
- The quarterbacks at training camp worked on throwing over a nine-foot screen that replicated the presence of an out-stretched defensive end. Head coach Jim Harbaugh spent extra time observing the group and giving footwork pointers to Colt McCoy.
- During a two-minute drill period, linebacker Ahmad Brooks and defensive lineman Ray McDonald recorded sacks to stop the first-team offense’s drive. Wide receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams both walked on to the field at Tuesday’s practice to watch the two-minute period and then returned back to the weight room where they watched practice.
- Rookie quarterback B.J. Daniels caught a pair of passes in practice as a wide receiver. The second came on a perfected lofted pass from Colin Kaepernick over outside linebacker Aldon Smith.
- Defensive lineman Will Tukuafu recorded a sack of McCoy in a team period with nickel personnel.