While mock drafts are fun and take up a lot of our offseason time, they will all blow up as soon as Roger Goodell announces there has been a trade. We have heard rumors for just about every team moving up or down in the draft, but there are a few that I think will stick.
6. Cleveland Browns- The Browns need a lot of help and with the new front office they could use as many picks as they could get. If there is one thing this team needs it’s a talented WR or the quarterback of the future. They are without a second round pick and with the amount of teams wanting to move up to take a tackle this is a perfect storm for the Browns.
12. Miami Dolphins- I think they will get the trade done for Brandon Albert before Friday. With that taking away the need at tackle, the top need switches to cornerback. Dee Milliner should be off the board, and there are a lot of question marks that should keep the rest of the corners out of the top half of the first round.
22. St. Louis Rams- They also pick at 16 and will likely solve one of their top 2 needs (safety and wide receiver) with that selection. 22 is far enough back where teams early in the second will start moving up and Fisher always likes to have extra picks to work with.
29. New England Patriots- They don’t have a pick in rounds 4-6 so they will be trading down at some point. 29 is a good spot for a team to move up to take a quarterback. Of all the teams likely to trade down, they are the most likely. With needs in the secondary and wide receiver there will plenty of prospects in the second round.
11. San Diego- They absolutely have to grab a top 5 lineman. The reports are they want Lane Johnson, but so does Arizona at 7. If he gets past Detroit at 5 I think you see them pull the trigger and trade up to 6 to get their man. The only way they don’t trade up is if Cooper, Warmack, and Johnson are still available at 6 and they think one will make it to 11.
30. Atlanta Falcons- This would come as no surprise for a team that was only a play away from the Superbowl. They have been rumored to be wanting a top-flight corner and they have been known to give up a lot to move up and grab “their guy” –see Julio Jones. Dee Milliner could easily slide into the 6-11 range and once that happens expect them to be making phone calls.
31. San Francisco- With both the 31st and 34thpicks in the draft along with 11 others the 49ers have more picks than roster spots. With needs on the defensive line and secondary, expect them to move up in the draft and take the players slotted high on their board. Don’t be surprised with the amount of picks they move up to take Tavon Austin as a luxury. He is unlike every other receiver on the roster and would give them an explosive playmaker very few teams have. I don’t think they will move into the top 10 unless they are winning the trade, but moving into the middle of the first round is not only possible but probable.
41. Buffalo Bills- Owner Ralph Wilson made it clear this was the year to move up and take a quarterback. I have a hard time believing they will select one at 8, especially with their interest in Matt Barkley. They will be the team to move back up into the first to grab either Barkley or Nassib and will hopefully, maybe, finally have a quarterback of the future.