The San Francisco 49ers (10-3-1) face the Seattle Seahawks (9-5) at Century Link Field at 5:20 PM PST this Sunday. The 49ers are coming off a huge road victory against the New England Patriots where they clinched their second straight playoff berth and can secure the NFC West title with a victory against the Seahawks. In the bigger picture, the 49ers look to maintain the second playoff seed ahead of the Green Bay Packers who are just a half-game behind. Here are the 49ers Gold Points for week 16:
- DT Justin Smith missed practice all week and his status is questionable for Sunday’s game. If he doesn’t go, this is a huge loss to the defensive front seven with a strong runner like Marshawn Lynch as your opponent this week. OLB Aldon Smith, who continues his pursuit of the single season sack record, benefits from having Smith out there and will garner additional attention this week if Smith does not play.
- WR Mario Manningham was limited in practice for the second consecutive week. He is also questionable for Sunday’s game.
- TE Vernon Davis stated publicly that he and QB Colin Kaepernick have not established on-field chemistry and they have some things to work on. You can read about it here. Jim Harbaugh alluded to the guys working on things in practice, “I can think of a couple things in particular where Vernon and Colin spent some time on certain routes extra during and after practice, and that helped. And I think there’ll be some more focus on that this week.”
- S Dashon Goldson has been fined $21,000 by the NFL for an illegal hit last Sunday night against New England Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez.
- The 49ers promoted OLB Cam Johnson from the practice squad to the 53 man roster. This fills the spot that has been open since last week.
- The 49ers sit at the #1 position atop the NFL.com Power Poll and ESPN Power Rankings. While this is in itself meaningless to play on the field, it is still recognition of what this team has achieved so far this year.
- The 49ers look to keep their prime time streak alive and go 6-0 for the season with a victory this Sunday night.
- Last but not least, a 5-year old girl (and presumably her parents) posted a short tribute rap video to the 49ers and Kaepernick this week that took off. You can see it here.