The San Francisco 49ers return home to Candlestick Park after a mistake fueled loss to the St. Louis Rams last week. The Niners had multiple opportunities to win the game in overtime, but failed 16-13 to the Rams. The Miami Dolphins also suffered a defeat last week and are traveling cross-country for the game. Miami lost 23-16 to the Patriots at home. The last time San Francisco and Miami met was in 2008 with the Dolphins winning 14-9.
The 49ers are way better on offense and defense than the Dolphins. If the 49ers can force Dolphins rookie QB Ryan Tannihill into mistakes they will bounce back with a win on Sunday. My prediction is the Niners win 27-10.
The 49ers and Dolphins don’t have too much of a history with only 11 games played since 1973. One of the 11 meetings, however, was in Super Bowl XIX with Joe Montana crushing Dan Marino 38-16. Montana was named Super Bowl MVP and he completed 24 of 35 passes for a Super Bowl record 331 yards and three touchdowns. He also broke the Super Bowl record for most rushing yards gained by a quarterback with 5 rushes for 59 yards and 1 rushing touchdown.
Series Record: Dolphins lead series 6-5
49ers Home Record vs. Dolphins: Dolphins lead series 3-2
49ers Away Record vs. Dolphins: Dolphins lead series 3-2
First Meeting: September 16, 1973, Dolphins won 21-13 at Miami.
Last Meeting: December 14, 2008, Dolphins won 14-9 at Miami.
Current Streak: Lost 2
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 5 (January 20, 1985 – December 16, 2001)
Longest Dolphins Win Streak: 4 (September 16, 1973 – November 6, 1983)
Most 49ers Points: 44 (November 20, 1995): 44-20, at Miami.
Most Dolphins Points: 24 (November 28, 2004): 24-17 at San Francisco.
49ers Shutouts: 1 (December 16, 2001), 49ers won 21-0 at San Francisco.
Dolphins Shutouts: None
- 298: QB Colin Kaepernick has rushed for 298 yards this season, the most by a 49ers QB since Jeff Garcia rushed for 319 yards in 2003.
- 24: WR Michael Crabtree has registered 24 receptions on 3rd down, ranking 4th in the NFL.
- 5: The 49ers have won five out of six games against AFC opponents under head coach Jim Harbaugh.
- 2: 49ers rushing offense is ranked 2nd in the NFL, averaging 162.1 rushing yards per game.
- 14.3: Niners defense ranks 1st in the NFL in points allowed per game.
- 726: Amount of rushing yards by Dolphins RB Reggie Bush this season.
- 10.5: Amount of sacks by Dolphins DE Cameron Wake.
- 4.49: Niners defense has allowed just 4.49 yards per play, ranking 1st in the NFL.
- 23: Niners defense has allowed just 23 drives to reach the red zone this season, ranking 1st in the NFL.
- RB Frank Gore attended the University of Miami from 2000-2004 and is from Coral Gables, FL.
- LB Tavares Gooden is from Ft. Lauderdale, FL and attended the University of Miami from 2003-2007.
- DT Ricky Jean Francois is from Miami Gardens, FL.
- WR Ted Ginn, Jr. was selected by the Dolphins with the 9th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft and played three seasons in Miami (2007-2009).
- RB Reggie Bush and 49ers QB Alex Smith were teammates at Helix HS in San Diego, CA.
- Dolphins T Jonathan Martin played for 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh at Stanford from 2008-2010.
- Miami LB Josh Kaddu is from Vacaville, CA and attended Vacaville HS.
- Miami LB Koa Misi is from Santa Rosa, CA and attended Montgomery HS.
- 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick was teammates with Dolphins S Jonathon Amaya at the University of Nevada from 2006-2009.
- 49ers QB Alex Smith and Dolphins DT Paul Soliai were teammates at Utah in 2004.
- 49ers TE Vernon Davis was a Maryland Terrapin with Dolphins T Randy Starks from 2003-2004.
- 49ers LB Patrick Willis and Dolphins G John Jerry were teammates at Ole Miss in 2006.
- 49ers CB Carlos Rogers was teammates with Dolphins LB Karlos Dansby at Auburn from 2001-2003.
- 49ers LB NaVorro Bowman and Dolphins DE Jared Odrick played on the same defense at Penn State from 2006-2009.
- 49ers WR Mario Manningham played at Michigan with Dolphins T Jake Long from 2005-07.
- 49ers G/T Alex Boone (2005-2008), S Donte Whitner (2003-2005) and WR Ted Ginn Jr. (2004-06) played with Dolphins WR Brian Hartline (2005-2008) at Ohio State.
- 49ers RB LaMichael James and Dolphins LB Josh Kaddu played their entire career (2008-2011) together at Oregon.
- In 11 career games against Miami, WR Randy Moss has 46 receptions for 786 yards and 10 TDs.
- 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell was the defensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers while Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was the Packers offensive line coach in 2003.
- Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was also with the Packers, serving as head coach while Donatell was on his staff from 2000-2003.
- Dolphins Assistant special teams coach Dave Fipp spent three seasons in the same capacity for the 49ers (2008-2010) and coached at San Jose State from 2005-2007.