In all of the years I have been a Niners fan (24 to be exact), I can hardly remember a more eventful week. Okay, I’m sure there have been, but certainly in recent memory this is it.
So what happened this week?
- Colin Kaepernick (QB) was again named the starter for the St. Louis game amid all kinds of “controversy” over the benching of Alex Smith (QB).
- Navarro Bowman (ILB) signed a 5-year contract extension which means the Niners linebacker core (Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks) is solid for the next 3 seasons.
- The Niners lost 2 key contributors (Kendall Hunter and Kyle Williams) for the season. Ironically on the same play during the Saints game.
- Questions arose regarding David Akers’ (K) health prompting the Niners to try out kickers. They have deemed whatever it is not to be serious enough to sign another kicker. Jim Harbaugh announced Isaac Sopoaga is an emergency kicker. Hope to never have to see that in a game.
- Demarcus Dobbs (special teams) was arrested on Friday for possession of marijuana after a traffic accident.
As if all of that wasn’t enough, it came to everyone’s attention this week that Kaepernick has tattoos on his arms! Apparently a big deal to some.
It is an exciting time to be a San Francisco 49ers fan. The Niners are back and relevant. Not that they weren’t last season, but this year it is different. They are getting airtime on national sports talk radio and not just casual mentions. They sit in the top-3 in most major NFL power rankings. Their Defense, tops in the league, will remain mostly intact for years to come. Kaepernick is showing a ton of upside potential. Will he be the guy for the rest of the season? Not sure, but I am sure he will be the guy for at least the next two games. If he plays well and the Niners win, then it is likely his job for the rest of the season. If he doesn’t and they don’t, then there is a real possibility that Alex Smith will be back for the New England game on December 17.
Good and exciting time to be a 49ers fan!