The San Francisco 49ers play against the St. Louis Rams on Sunday in a matchup of NFC West rivals. All-time the 49ers have an edge over the Rams with the series 62-61-2, with San Francisco winning seven of the last eight games. Both teams are coming off their bye, but the 49ers are 2-0 under Jim Harbaugh in games after the bye week.
Of all the 49ers biggest rivalries, the Rams is the one I get the most excited about each season. During the 1990’s when the Rams played in Anaheim, CA, and before they moved to St. Louis, I attended each game the 49ers came into the town. I grew up and lived in Orange, CA which is about 15 minute drive to the Big A where the Rams called home. My dad was a huge Rams fan (he still is now, but remains bitter over them moving to St. Louis) and had season tickets, so he would take me along to the 49ers game. From what I remember the 49ers dominated the Rams each game I attended and won. The most lasting memory for me at a game was watching Jerry Rice make a one-handed catch against the Rams:
St. Louis Rams (3-5) vs. San Francisco 49ers (6-2)
Where: Candlestick Park
Kickoff: Sunday, 1:25p.m. PT/4:25 p.m. ET (Fox)
The Line: 49ers favored by 11 points
Weather: Mid 50s. Mostly cloudy
Series Record: 49ers lead series 62-61-2
49ers Home Record vs. Rams: Series tied 31-31-1
49ers Away Record vs. Rams: 49ers lead series 31-30-1
First Meeting: October 1, 1950, Rams win 35-14 at San Francisco
Last Meeting: January 1, 2012, 49ers win 34-27 at St. Louis
Current Streak: 49ers have won last two games.
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 17 (December 17, 1990 – December 27, 1998)
Longest Rams Win Streak: 10 (November 29, 1970 – September 28, 1975)
Most 49ers Points: 48 (December 27, 1987): 48-0 at San Francisco
Most Rams Points: 56 (November 9, 1958): 56-7 at Los Angeles
49ers Shutouts: 8 (Last December 5, 2011), 49ers win 26-0 at San Francisco
Rams Shutouts: None
The 49ers and Rams have only met once in postseason since 1950. The teams faced off in the NFC Championship game on January 14, 1990, with the 49ers winning 30-3 in San Francisco in route to the Super Bowl.
- 841: In 11 games versus the Rams, RB Frank Gore has recorded 841 rushing yards and 11 TD’s on 190 carriers. Gore has rushed for over 100-yards four times against the Rams.
- 3.5: Amount of sacks recorded in a game by Justin Smith against the Rams in 2009, a career-high.
- 17: Punter Andy Lee has pinned 54.8 pct. (17 of 31) of his punts inside the opponents 20-yd. line, ranking 2nd in the NFL. In a 2009 game against the Rams, Lee posted a single-game career-high 5 punts downed inside the 20-yardsline.
- 12.5: Since 2009, DT Justin Smith has registered 12.5 sacks against NFC West opponents, ranking t-12th in the NFL and 1st among defensive tackles.
- 4: WR Michael Crabtree has registered a TD catch in each of his last 4 games against the Rams.
- 168.6: 49ers rushing yards per game, ranking 1st in NFL.
- 12.9: Average amount of points the 49ers allow each game this season, ranking 1st in the NFL.
- 7.5: Sacks collected by Aldon Smith this season, tied for 7th best in the NFL.
- 34: Points the 49ers have scored on their first possession of the second half this season, tied for 1st in the NFL (NY Giants).
- 28: Since 2009, the 49ers are 28-3 when winning the turnover battle.
- 38: San Francisco has converted 12 takeaways (6 INTs, 6 FRs) into 38 points this season.
- 9: Since December 1, 2011, San Francisco has committed just 9 turnovers, t-1st in the NFL over that time span.
- 4.55: 49ers defense has allowed just 4.55 yards per play this season, 1st in the NFL.
- 184: The 49ers are ranked 2nd in the NFL allowing 184.0 passing yards per game this season.
- 14: In last matchup between the Rams and 49ers, kicker David Akers took a direct snap on a field goal attempt and threw a 14-yard TD pass to Michael Crabtree for his first and, so far, only touchdown pass of his career.
- 78: Ted Ginn returned his first punt return for a TD with the 49ers in 2010 against the Rams on 78-yard return.
- 3: Interceptions by Rams CB Cortland Finnegan this season.
- 49ers LB Aldon Smith starred at the University of Missouri from 2008-2010 and was a First-Team All-Big 12 selection. He won Missouri’s Defensive Lineman of the Year Award in 2010.
- 49ers DT Justin Smith is from Holts Summit, MO, and attended the University of Missouri from 1998-2000.
- 49ers TE Delanie Walker went to the University of Central Missouri from 2004-2006.
- Before signing with the 49ers in 2011, LB Larry Grant played for the Rams from 2008-2010.
- Rams head coach Jeff Fisher was the defensive backs coach for the 49ers from 1992-1993.
- From 1987-1993 when Jim Harbaugh was a quarterback for the Chicago Bears, Rams assistant head coach Dave McGinnis was the linebackers coach for the Bears.
- 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau were on the same staff with the New Orleans Saints from 1987-1993.
- Fangio was the special assistant to the head coach and 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman was the assistant offensive line coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2006-2007, while Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel was on the same staff as an assistant special teams coach with the Ravens.
- Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti held the same position with the 49ers in 2007.