The NFL’s new uniform design was released by Nike today with all 32 teams getting new uni’s including the San Francisco 49ers. The new uniform designs are called the “Nike Elite 51” and are not much of a radical change from the previous ones. Here is information from Nike about the new uniforms:
The San Francisco 49ers have chosen to take full innovation in the Nike Elite 51 Uniform including Flywire technology to reduce weight and provide a lockdown fit over the pads. Keeping with their traditional design aesthetic, the uniform has a slight adjustment on the arm stripes creating a horizontal orientation to the field of play. The Nike Elite 51 uniform is completely engineered from the inside out, focusing on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. A few of the new innovations include increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.
Key features of the Nike Elite 51 Uniform include:
- LIGHTER – The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry are lighter than previous versions
- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY – Eliminates layers, reduces weight, and provides lockdown fit
- ZONED MESH VENTILATION – Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation
- ZONED STRENGTH - High tenacity, stretch material, for lightweight lockdown strength.
- CUT FOR MOBILITY – Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry.
- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS – Four-way stretch even on numbering system
- CUSTOMIZABLE BASELAYER PADDING – Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated lightweight, Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection.
- DEFLEX PADDING - Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas
- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT - Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight.
The two changes I like the most is the gloves which forms the SF logo when the hands are brought together (see above) and the red and gold cleats. With the gloves I cannot wait to see the first SF logo being flashed in a game by new wide receivers Randy Moss and Mario Manningham in addition to Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. The cleats (see below) are awesome because they will be worn by every player and we will no longer see the bland black or white cleats most Niner players wore in a game. It will be awesome to see the red and gold cleats zoom by during games as Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Ted Ginn Jr and Kendall Hunter run for the end zone.
What do you think of the new uniforms? Tell us your thoughts in the comments. Here are the rest of the new uniform designs:
You can view bigger images by clicking here.