The first two days of training camp for the 2009 49ers finished this past weekend. Michael Crabtree is still a holdout as 21 of the 32 first round draft picks are signed and in camp. MCT has missed three days of training camp. Here is a report from various newspapers in attendance:
- Niner Faithful booed QB Alex Smith on Saturday in the morning practice, but cheered him in the afternoon on Saturday: Love and hate: Smith walks line.
I would have booed Smith in the afternoon practice no matter how well he threw. Until he starts a full season under center and has more TD’s thrown than interceptions, Smith does not deserve to be cheered until he has done something significant for the 49ers.
- Kevin Lynch at the Niner Insider weighs in on the Crabtree holdout. Lynch says one reason for MCT’s holdout is “Crabtree, I think, believes he’s exceptional and thus, should be treated that way… I get the feeling he’s smart, even crafty. I also get the feeling he’s taken on the persona of his mentor, Deion Sanders.”
This is why the NFL needs a rookie salary scale like the NBA that limits how many years and how much money a rookie can make. Otherwise we let the rookie holdouts control the teams focus, see Crabtree, and so teams do not overpay for draft busts before they ever set a foot on the field, see Alex Smith.
- Mike Singletary had one practice in the afternoon on Sunday. Smith took most of the snaps with the first unit offense. Sunday practice recap.
Fullback Moran Norris was spotted on the field for the first in camp as he missed the first two days due to personal reasons. I was wondering why Norris was missing from camp reports. Hopefully his personal issues are resolved and he can focus on leading Frank Gore through defenses. Norris will play an important role this year.
- Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye will involve misdirection and sweeps to the outside in the running game. Niner go off-tackle on Day 2
This is where offensive lineman Chilo Rachal will shine. His quickness in his feet will make him outstanding at running the sweep.
- Over at the 49ers web site they posted video interviews with the fans in attendance: From the Bleachers: Day #1
I wonder if the 49ers web site will post a video asking fans about the possible move to Santa Clara.
Keep updated automatically through email on 49ers news at Niner Noise. Subscribe here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/NinerNoise